Lidl

Lidl Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Found 133 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,884 reviews

Lidl company

it's good place good coworker not bad for u start there you will like working there you have to try Enjoy writing your review! nothing else i can say

Stressful. No work life balance only good thing wages

The training is shocking you go to a welcome meeting in their head office who tell you how fantastic it’s going to be then you go to storeYou get a training mentor and a buddy ( these people don’t even want to do these jobs they get forced to do it). You sit in front of a terminal where you are supposed to do 40 hours training. The management make you do this in about 15 then they say you’ve passed them you are out on the shop floor then everything you have learnt on computer is forgotten. You have to learn bakery codes and fruit and veg codes even though the tills have them on working a pallet they are supposed to be only 1.8 metre high I had to work pallets at least 2.5 having to climb on a age stool to reach above my head on many occasion and if you cannot work a chiller pallet in 20 mins you then get an investigation most of the time 3 people could not achieve this. The management side is relentless targets targets and targets. The higher management come out with the most ridiculous ideas and you have to implement them must are in unachievable then you hauled into head office to explain. During COVID they broke there store managers. Leaving them to fend for themselves every thing was an after thought never heard from any senior members for 3 months no direction from them no extra help now I have wrote this as a true experience as I worked for Lidl for 10 year and after the pandemic I had had enough leaving a very well paid job. But best thing I done

Pros

Wages

Cons

Long hours. Work load. Health and safety

Work hard, Play hard

Grocery Retail is hard work. If you're the kind of person who doesn't like to be idle this job is for you. Always doing something and keeping busy. This job also depends on reliability. As a veteran this job is very easy compared not what I am use to. If you're dedicated and show great work ethic you will go far in management. I started out as an Associate and I got promoted to Store Supervisor. Being flexible and able to switch tasks is a big plus in this company. Also the store team is a toss up you never really know what the management team is until your there. I was lucky to get to hired bat the store I did but not all stores are the same unfortunately.

Pros

Benefits, Free lunches on Occasion and pay

Cons

High Turnover, Unreliable Associates, and at time Unreliable Expectations

was awesome in the beginning...

was a great company when stores first open. If your not a brown noser you'll never ever move up. High high stress around inventory, holidays and important holidays. Loved the insurance but sometimes it wasn't worth the stress.

Pros

Insurance, pay, commute

Cons

no growth, directors are cruel

Treated poorly !!!!!

Training was rushed, management didn't care if you were comfortable with the training or understood it, they rushed and pushed you to the next exercise! Technology was extremely poor and slow which dampened training as well. Was treated very poorly from upper management! Always felt like I was doing something wrong with no feedback or encouragement from management! Store management showed favorites towards certain employees! Very poor work environment and very poor communication between managers and supervisors ! Money & benefits were nice but so not worth the headache. No natter how hard you work, it's not good enough!

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Short lunches, no breaks, poor communication

Toxic dumpster fire ablaze

Lidl is a good company and pays well but poorly managed on regional level. The culture is very bad and their scores represent that. Make sure to read all reviews from US, they are combined with all countries. Training Dept doesn’t exist. You will receive very little training because they are short handed in the stores all the time so there is no one to train you. Management has little experience in job roles. The harder you work the less chance you will be promoted. They promote only people who kiss up. Turnover is very high due to culture. Very stressful and expectations are very unattainable and you will still be pressured to complete. Management will talk down to you. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE

Pros

Great Benefits and Pay

Cons

No Work/Life Balance and Toxic Enviroment

Great Place to Start

If you are looking to start a career in grocery management this company is a great place to start. Buyer beware though-- the company touts work/life balance. but depending on your store/line manager it will not happen. Expect to work days straight without any thought to how it effects you mentally or physically.

Productive and place you learn something every day

At work we get responsibilities but same time get ownership which make us feels good and happy when achieving the task and management recognised our hard work.

Pros

Staff discount, employee discussions & feedback

Great company!!!

Horrible store level training... Extremely high turn over. As the saying goes; people quit managers and not companies. The store asa manager all Did was push freight. The store manager's prove to me you want to be trained lol. Just preposterous!!!

Pros

Very competitive pay

Cons

Broken store level training

Great in some aspects, but management unsupportive

Great to do the job if you are left alone as a store manager and you succeed greatly. Support from area managers and regional managers is none existent and be prepared to be undermined and back stabbed a lot. A toxic work environment they put you in. But from a store environment it was lovely, challenging and rewarding. A shame about the management outside of the store. I happily took a pay cut to be in a better environment.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Toxic management beyond store level.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lidl?

Horrible place to work and company is a sham

Horrible company to work for......They want you to do 4+ jobs per shift like this is europe where the stores are way smaller. They do the exact opposite of what they say. THis company is the worst company to work for.

Zero work life balance

As with all management positions, Lidl requires you to be on call at all times. In itself, not an issue. However, I worked 24+hr shifts on a weekly basis, maxing out at 59 hrs straight over 5 back to back shifts between multiple locations. Attempts to occasionally (ever, really) decline to pick up extra hours, projects, or provide support for other stores is met with severe disapproval from upper management.

Consistently being put down negative environment

Horrible company management consistently degrading others extremely high standards impossible to achieve bare minimum labour expected to work 6 days to 7 50 to 60 hours

Pros

Cons

No quality of life

Stressful environment

Management is all over the place with multiple styles of managing which constantly contradict one another making everything you do be put under constant scrutiny. There is also no respect for a work life balance (even before the pandemic hit). I constantly feel like i am at odds with maintaining healthy relationships out side of my job and just keeping it. Also all the good work you do tends to go unnoticed so don't think you will be thank for your hard work and good efforts.

Pros

good healthcare

Cons

everything else

Fast paced

Very fast paced work, physically demanding, not very easy to please customers who expect a lot for cheap prices, great team, incredible expectations off the hierarchy

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Long days

Backstabbing, two-faced liar and poor management, careless company

Lidl US offers a great package at first, until you step in the store. Working stocks in the freezer, running pallets of goods, finish pallets in 20, 30 minutes, even with someone in a good physical shape is impossible. Managers sitting in the office, Assistant managers outside smoking, and they work you to death. Running in-between the cash register and stocking the store, pretty hopeless. You can't trust anyone and you won't be respected in this place. If you get hired as a Supervisor, they will fire you for something you didn't do. If they pick you as an associate, you won't get many hours, run...

Careful.

As a former employee it was my experience that they are very demanding and the culture is a club culture not a team oriented one. If you like to be used and not respected then lidl is the job for you.

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

major health hazard

Well Paid but you work in return.

Well paid with opportunities to progress. No work life balance and a fast paced stressful environment to work in.

Pros

Good Salary, Company car, good exposure to managing

Cons

No work life balance. Working with limited resources. No proper support from area managers

Horrible Training/Over worked

The training is horrible! They overlook the hard workers. All of the equipment is from Germany which makes it hard to fix when there is a problem. The people aren't trained to rotate products and makes more work for others. They over order stuff which also affects the training because they will need more people to pack out! They require you to pack out the new merchandise vs the old. I've spoken to one of the DM regarding an issue with a ASM and nothing was done about it!! They expect you to do EVERYTHING while the ASM and SM basically do nothing. They'll also tell you that you are FT and you'll wind up being PT, then you won't even get the efficient amount of hours to take care of your needs. The pallets come over stocked making things harder for the shorter employees.

Benefits

Cons

No support and horrible training

Alot of growing pains

Huge turn over. Rotating shifts and new events everyday. Pay is good and benefits for a retail chain. Expected to teach the minute you step out of training.

Benefits

Cons

rotating hours, understaffed

Dont Do It.

I took this job as progression from a lower level management role at another supermarket. I was enticed by promises of progression and excellent training, as well as good pay and a company car within a company that was billed to me as futuristic and forward thinking. After taking the offer I immediately found a company completely different to the one it portrays to its prospective employees. Stores are run down and there is no appetite for anyone to properly train new staff. Area managers and higher management don't care about anyone other than themselves and show no interest in you once you are in the door. You are just another number to them. They will squeeze every inch of work they can out of you and then squeeze some more until you are drained, depressed and feel like there's no escape. The whole business runs on a blame culture where you always feel your job is at risk, and systems and practices are beyond dated. For a company that prides itself on efficiency, it is quite the opposite. Communication is atrocious and it is impossible to speak to anyone unless they want something from you in return. Avoid this company at all costs or you will end up regretting it just like I did.

Pros

Lower level staff are largely nice people

Cons

Everything else

1,6K